Global IoT Summit 2018
Oct 31, 2018
The Leela Palace, Bangalore

Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

What the "Internet of Things" means for an embedded developer?

+1 vote
posted Nov 15 by Archana D R

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

1 Answer

0 votes

In my opinion, we need to understand the entities included in this definition. Let’s start with “Things.” For an embedded developer, it’s easy to identify them with embedded devices and I think it’s correct to do so. Included in this definition are small microcontroller-based devices as well as more complex devices running a full-featured operating system.

So is the “Internet of Things” just about connecting devices to the Internet?

I don’t think so. It would be like defining the Internet as PCs, tablets, and smartphones connected to a TCP/IP based network; we would be missing an important part of it.

We already have many connected devices. Multiple studies evaluate that, since 2008, there are more devices than people connected to the Internet, but the IoT is still far from being a reality in our daily routine.

The Internet has evolved in recent years, moving from the static “email and web page” model at the beginning of the World Wide Web revolution to the huge and sometimes useful mix of information and services (and cat videos) we have today.

In the same way, connected devices will need to evolve, to interoperate, and to share and access information before we can really live in the “Internet of Things” era.

answer Nov 16 by Saniya Sadaf M