Global IoT Summit 2018
Oct 31, 2018
The Leela Palace, Bangalore

Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

What role have you played in helping the Government of India (Gol) roll out an IoT Policy?

+1 vote
posted Jan 14 by Saniya Sadaf M

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

1 Answer

0 votes

After leading a team in early 2000 at Samsung that received the first TCP/IPv6 Ready Logo Certification in 2003, members of India’s Department of Information Technology (DIT) now called MeitY, invited me to participate on the board of a team rolling out IPv6 in India. During that time, we discussed a “killer application” for IPv6 that would be able to connect everything on earth. This was initially christened Network of Things, now it known as the Internet of Things.

The GoI was keen to play a role in adopting the Internet and developing corresponding technologies. But up to that time, technology rollout in India had tended to be tardy. For example we got 2G, 3G and 4G much later than the rest of the world.

Given IoT’s potential to gather very specific personal data, I was convinced that we needed our own protocols to manage data privacy while architecting this technology. I urged the DIT to create standards and produce IoT technology in India, and in 2014 the GoI took action. We introduced a policy to create IoT Centers of Excellence to develop the IoT ecosystem.

answer Jan 16 by Akarsh S